jueves, 4 de octubre de 2018

"These kids made the experience a lot better and manageable throughout the heat."



In July 2018, Futuro Lleno de Esperanza welcomed four international interns to live and work with and in our community. They've been asked to share their experience in the form of a blogpost.
If you are interested in experiencing the Dominican Republic in the summer of 2019, we will be launching our intern applications in the coming weeks. We strive to offer low cost international experiences for teenagers that benefit both our community and the interns development and growth.
-----------------------------------------------------

I am Changmin Yu, but everyone calls me Alex because it is a lot simpler. I am currently 17 turning 18 very soon. I am attending Rowan University located in New Jersey. Last year, I was approached by the Head Pastor of my church, Pastor Doh, right after I came back from my fourth one week mission, this time from Mexico. He told me that I should think about going on missions for an extended period of time. At first, I did not think it was for me. I loved kids, and I loved doing God’s work, but I did not think I would ever be able to go on missions for more than a week. One week was tiring itself, how would I hold up for a month? So, at the time, I shook it off and played it as if he was joking around. However, I always kept it in the back of my mind. After college apps were done, Pastor Doh approached me again. This time I agreed to go to… Mexico?!!! I needed someone to go along with me to keep my sanity in tact, and luckily Chris agreed to go with me. We planned for months trying to figure out what we can do, and how we can do it. However, the biggest blessing was probably when we found out that the place in Mexico we were planning on staying was not ready. Our plans changed to going to the Dominican Republic. This change was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me.
For two weeks out of the four we were there, Chris and I joined the Futuro Lleno de Esperanza team as interns. Here we met such great people. Lee, Anni, Hayes, Chris, and I spent most of the two weeks together even when we weren’t working with the kids. Together we became “#yo_soy_team”, and together we attacked every obstacle in front of us head on. And the person who made this all possible for us, Melanie. Before arriving, Chris and I only knew Melanie by her voice and her profile picture on WhatsApp. However, when we got there, she totally passed my expectations of who she was. She welcomed us with open arms and treated us like adults. She is the cool principal that every wants running their high school. The one who talks to the kids in a loving fashion, yet can discipline when a kid goes out of line. Melanie was the biggest help from the team, and she was the motherly figure for all of us to look up to.
I can never forget about the kids. They have been on mind the whole time ever since coming back from the Dominican Republic. I wish I was able to communicate with them more. However, with my broken Spanish and hand signals, I was able to get my points across. From playing basketball with the older guys to just sitting down and watching kids, I will treasure every moment I was able to share with them.

           Since this was the third time coming to the Dominican Republic, I was already used to the names they called me because I know that’s just a way to get closer to people. I miss the kids constantly calling me “gordo” (fatty) or “chino” (used as a reference to all Asian people). These kids have hearts of gold. They just need attention that they may not get from their parents. These kids made the experience a lot better and manageable throughout the heat.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone I wasn’t able to mention. Everyone I met at the Dominican Republic will hold a special part in my heart. I really encourage potential interns to just really enjoy every moment when you’re there, especially those with the kids. And if you are on the fence on whether you want to apply or not, I hope this really helps you decide. So, to the Futuro Lleno de Esperanza team I wish you good luck! Also, I hope that the future is bright for the program. Thank you for the moments we shared and thank you for reading.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario